Jessica Keltz's Resume
Of Counsel, The Law Office of Stephanie Adams
• Practice concentrated in municipal law, regulatory compliance, affordable housing, not-for-profit agencies and landlord/tenant law
Attorney Advisor, Office of Disaster Assistance
January 2018-April 2018
• High-volume case management, advisory and compliance work toward the disbursement of Small Business Association loans to victims of Hurricane Irma; temporary appointment
Asst. Housing Coordinator, Erie County Dept. of Mental Health
July 2017-December 2017
• Researched, wrote and updated policy and procedure manual for HUD grantee agencies that house chronically homeless and mentally ill consumers, on a per diem consultant basis.
• Created site review materials for ECDMH staff to use when conducting on-site audits of grantee agencies
Legal Dept. Supervisor, Lemle & Wolff Inc.
November 2011-June 2017
• As department head, responsible for over 7,000 housing units and a caseload of approximately 1,100 matters and 200-300 active court cases, supervising a staff of six and multiple outside counsel relationships
• Advised senior staff, leasing department and field management team on varied and complex matters, including Housing Choice Voucher Program/Section 8 compliance, Shelter Plus Care, tax-credit compliance, low-income housing co-op organization and management, sublets, non-primary residence, tenant disputes, repair needs, abatements, criminal activity, evictions, and non-payment of rent.
• Counseled third-party owners (both for profit and not-for-profit) on best practices in affordable housing management and worked to revitalize struggling properties.
Collections Manager, Ridgewood Bushwick Management Corp.
December 2009-October 2011
• Managed landlord/tenant caseload for 2,000 units of affordable housing, managing outside counsel relationships
• Completed landlord packages, Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contracts and all other landlord-side Section 8 paperwork; also worked to reinstate terminated and suspended subsidy payments.
• Advised staff and directors on legal matters such as rent stabilization, leases and compliance
• Completed NYC Housing Preservation and Development 8A Loan application.
Associate Attorney, Damon & Morey LLP
• Represented buyers, sellers and banks in residential real estate transactions, and assisted supervising attorneys in foreclosure actions and complex commercial deals
• Drafted contracts, deeds, discharges, releases and other legal documents
Downtown Living Coordinator, Buffalo Place Inc August 2006-April 2008
• Promoted downtown Buffalo by organizing events and meetings and writing for online and print publications
• Wrote and administered grants, including a $200,000 NYS Main Street Grant from the Division of Housing and Community Renewal; assisted property owners with application process and selected qualified applicants
Member, Women’s Bar Association of Western New York; active member of public interest and government sector committee
Volunteer, VLP Housing Helpline
Volunteer, Pro Se Clinic, New York County Lawyers’ Association: Fall 2010-Spring 2016
Board member/Vice President, Heart of the City Neighborhoods, October 2007-December 2009
Juris Doctor, University at Buffalo Law School: May 2006
Intern, Buffalo City Court, Housing Part
Helped to implement the Housing Court Reform Project, an effort to create a problem-solving court that facilitates rehabilitation of dilapidated properties
Student attorney, Community Economic Development Clinic
Completed Certificate of Incorporation, drafted bylaws and worked toward federal tax-exempt status for local not-for-profit organization
Collaborated with other students to complete an application for $500,000 in federal HOME funds for a homeless shelter and transitional housing complex as part of larger Low Income Housing Tax Credits deal
B.A., cum laude, Journalism and Mass Communication, St. Bonaventure University: June 2001
Admitted to New York State Bar, February 2007